The Proper Way to Fast
Oct 20, 2014
1. Decide the purpose of the fast before you begin.
2. Proclaim the fast before the Lord. Whether proclaimed or personal, it must be declared before God. Otherwise, you will be tempted to break it. This must be a decision of quality. Say,"father, with you as my helper, in the name of Jesus, I have settled this today, and until this time tomorrow, food will not pass my lips." Once you have made that firm commitment, you will stick by it.
3. Believe before the fast that you receive the reward promised by Jesus in Matthew 6:18. Actually this assurance is based on Mark 11:24: "whatsoever things you desire, when you pray, believe that you've receive them, and you shall have them." You are not going to receive because You fast. You will receive because you believed in faith. Fasting is an act of receiving.
4. Minister to the Lord while you are fasting. Ministering to the Lord in praise and worship will keep your spirit active and build you up. You will need the additional strength to bear up (Colossians 3:16; Ephesians 6:19; Acts 13:1-3).
5. Minister to others during and after the fast. During your fast minister to others only as God leads you to do so. Always be available. But remember, fasting is a period of preparing yourself for greater ministry later on. Afterwords do not think, "well I'm never going to fast again. I didn't receive anything from God during the whole time I was on that fast." Yes you did. Now, minister to the people and you'll find out that you have received. You'll witness that the power of God is greater upon you.
6. Expect assistance from the angels. Jesus had 40 days when He was confronted by Satan on the mount of temptation. After He had successfully resisted satan’s temptation, the Bible says, “and the devil left him, and, behold, Angels came and minister unto him” (Matthew 4:11) The Angels ministered to Jesus, and you can't expect help from ministering servants, too, by faith. Don't feel for it. The worst thing you can do is go by your feelings. All they will tell you is, "I'm hungry!" Shut off your feelings during a fast. Act on your faith. Confess that the Angels are attending you. Continue to thank God for it. They are licensed not only to assist you where you are but also work for you throughout the world, wherever your influence is needed.
Nathaniel Spiers is a minister, business owner, and eternal student of the Word of God. He has been called as a teacher to the Body of Christ around the world. His commission is to prepare the church to be the bride Jesus deserves. He is passionate about seeing Christians become Believers and Males become Men.